Friday, July 2, 2021

I Think I Shall Never See Anything as Beautiful as a Tree

    I grew up in a deeply forested state, West Virginia, and was taught from childhood to know and love trees. The last time I visited, as I drove all around to see relatives in far-flung counties, I noticed huge swaths of brown amongst green. I asked what the heck was going on that seemed to be killing trees. That is how I learned about acid rain, an unfortunate by-product of coal mining, logging, and too many chemical plants. On our 300-acre farm, no trees are cut, only planted, so we are doing our part.

    In the settled part of the great prairies and western states, trees were felled to clear the land. That is, in part, being rectified by a special effort to protect trees in the last frontier. Check out americanrainforests.org to see how you can help. Oh, and start in your own yard. Got room for a couple of trees? Start digging and planting and know you will enjoy years of beauty and leave behind a legacy for generations to come from your own efforts.

No comments: