Thursday, February 4, 2021

We All Have a Story

     My dad loves to tell stories of being in World War II and he did have many dramatic tales of saving lives. He even delivered a Japanese POW's letter to his parents in Tokyo, a major act of kindness that involved a great deal of risk. I really wish I had recorded them, but I still carry Dad's stories and share them in his honor. Our elders, in particular, have much to share and life lessons we could all learn from. The Library of Congress is gathering these by sending out volunteers to video record in the Veteran's History Project (loc.gov.vets). To me, one of the most special aspects of this oral history project is that it not only includes the Greatest Generation, but also features young people coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan, whose stories are equally precious. I think we are learning that every generation has true greatness.

No comments: