Thursday, November 29, 2018

Knitting the World Back Together With Yarn and a Lot of Love

Volunteer was never a word in her vocabulary. Not yet. 
Image result for photos of knitted hearts
Not that she didn’t know what it meant, but it wasn’t something she would ever think about doing. Feeling unloved as a child left her self-centered, angry and needy. As far as Lee Gant was concerned, the world owed her.  But it was hard to get to know the world, as small as hers was. Sheltered and sequestered in a small coastal community in rural New England, she knew little about the daily lives of regular people with regular families, but enough to know that hers wasn’t like theirs. “Bad things happened in my house,” she said, “and I never understood why, because I was afraid to ask.”

 Throughout her teen and young adult years, Lee used drugs and alcohol to transport herself, begging attention from anyone and everyone. Chemicals seemed to work in the short haul, but eventually her use led to more destructive behaviors: setting fires, shoplifting, drunk driving, punching fists through plate glass windows. Cutting helped drain her pent up self-loathing and relieved her. Sutures and butterfly bandages briefly put her back together, but after so many years and so many scars, self-mutilation wasn’t working. Ingesting 150 pills, a four-day coma and her subsequent near-death put an end to all of that. After three weeks in an institution for attempted suicide, she was ready to try something different.

 One day, out of the blue, Lee was invited into a knit shop filled with happy loving people and found a passion and joy she never knew. “I made things with my hands and felt good about myself. I entered an afghan in the county fair and won a blue ribbon. I joined AA and stopped drinking. I found a community of creative people who accepted me and my knitting and that, along with sober living, brought the attention I craved. But still…something was missing,” she said.  She noticed she felt best when she shared her knowledge of knitting and making other people happy brought a new kind of satisfaction.

On a whim, Lee volunteered to teach knitting classes for kids for the local Santa Rosa chapter of Catholic Charities. www.CatholicCharities.org.  She wanted to find out it knitting would make a difference for them like it did for her. She wanted to give them something they could turn to when life got too scary, or complicated, or boring… something they could turn to for comfort or fun. She gave them sticks and string and direction. She gave them an opportunity to feel accomplished and proud. She gave them a piece of herself and found what she’d been missing.

Lee began to care about other people.  “I taught families at a homeless shelter to knit. I taught a group of foster teens. I crocheted for battered women and premature babies. I knit warm hats for cold-headed cancer patients I would never get to know.
“All of this giving changes me. I feel good inside. No longer hollow and self-centered, I feel something akin to love. For others. For myself. For who I am. For what I do.” Lee is not just any knitter; she is tremendously gifted and tremendously generous. She is the author of several books, including Love in Every Stitch and is a sought after pattern designer. Find her on Facebook with “Knitting and Healing With Lee Gant” or you can find her at a shelter with a lot of bright, beautiful skeins of yarn and a bunch of happy kids, doing what she does best.

I asked Lee to sum up how it was that she came to be a “good in the world.”

“I blame it on volunteering,” she said.

No comments: