Sunday, February 26, 2017

Some of my favorite neighbors have 4 legs

I live in a very nice town adjacent to Berkeley, California that is very urban but I have a big ol backyard, which I LOVE. (It is the reason I live here.) I have raccoons, a family of squirrels and a pair of deer who seem to love the yard as much as I do but I think they really like the apple trees. One of the older trees bears a huge amount of apples every fall, much more than my boyfriend and I can cook or eat, not to mention our friends, my coworkers, the door and squirrels. So we bag up the extra apples and take them to a place where deer congregate at the edge of the woods a few blocks away. Every time I deliver a new bag, I see lots of deer tracks and can see my four legged forest friends enjoyed their
“apple a day.” So, before you just compost the excess bounty of your garden or fruit, trees, take a look around and see who else might appreciate a neighborly gesture.

No comments: